Slightly modified for the crock pot from this recipe, which I found, where else but Pinterest.
I usually prep the night before and refrigerate the bowl of my crock pot overnight, popping it in and firing it up the next morning before work, but that’s by no means necessary. I do that with pretty much everything I make this way, but with this on in particular because it has more prep time than most slow cooker recipes.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 medium-large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 heaped tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper (optional if you don’t want it to be too spicy)
- 2 cans (~800g) chopped tomatoes
- (Note: I almost wanted to half this or use paste/sauce because we don’t like tomatoes, but I didn’t and it turned out great, not too tomato-y)
- 2-4 tsp. brown sugar
- (This cuts the tomato taste, so if you don’t like it, use more, or if you do, use less)
- ~1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. black pepper
- Place all sauce ingredients in crock pot and stir a bit, literally that’s all you have to do.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and form good sized balls (I got about 8 with this size recipe and they were the perfect size). Place them on a plate and refrigerate for about 10-30 minutes to firm them up.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and sear the meatballs so they keep their shape.
- Place the meatballs in your crock pot and cover in sauce.
- Cook on low for ~6 hours
I also grabbed a day old $1 baguette from Walmart’s bakery and popped it in the oven at 350 for 3-4 minutes. It was the perfect pairing!